UAE Shares a Rich History with Germany since a Long Time
On Tuesday, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Abu Dhabi’s Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, reached Berlin for an official two-day visit to Germany.
The visit to Germany by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, highlights the significance of what is both a strategic and economic relationship.
Last month, Philipp Ackermann, the director general for the region at the German Foreign Ministry, after a two-day visit to the UAE stated that there is only one Arab nation with which Germany have upgraded their relationship to the level of being a strategic partner; and that is UAE.
Sheikh Mohamed’s visit to Berlin shows steadfastness on both sides to preserve close ties and follow mutual aims and stability in the region. His visit follows after German Chancellor Angela Merkel was received by the Crown Prince during her second visit to the UAE, and was given a state reception and a 21-gun salute.
Mrs Merkel during her visit to Abu Dhabi was accompanied by a delegation of German companies, who were interested to do business with UAE. Trade with Germany has always been meaningful, even before the creation of the UAE.
- The first Mercedes vehicles were imported by what is now the Emirates Motor Company in 1962. The cars became quickly synonymous with luxury and reliability, and it was Sheikh Zayed, the Founding Father’s favorite car, for state occasions.
- By 1967, the Emirates started to import so many ultra-luxury Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullmans; due to which the company sent a team to find out what’s happening.
- The UAE is now Germany’s biggest Arab trading partner, while Germany is the fourth-largest exporter to the UAE, with goods and services worth about Dh50 billion.
- Alternative energy is another area of shared interest, with Siemens opening its Middle East headquarters in Masdar City in 2014.
- West Germany set up an embassy in Abu Dhabi and a consulate general in Dubai and close ties emerged.
- After the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, the UAE was able to shift its embassy from Bonn back to the reunified capital, Berlin.
- The year 1990 is remembered not only for the reunification of Germany but also because of the football World Cup in Italy. It was the first time when the UAE had qualified, with the team finding itself in a group with the powerful West Germans.
- In October, 2008, Sheikh Mohamed was given Germany’s Order of Merit in recognition of his humanitarian work, while the two nations agreed to hold regular consultations at foreign ministry level the following year.
Memorable Moments Through Pics
- H Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed signs the guest book at Schloss Meseberg Palace on the outskirts of Berlin in May 2016.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is bestowed the Sheikh Zayed Order by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed on May 25, 2010 in Abu Dhabi.
- Merkel in Abu Dhabi in 2017.
- Mrs Merkel holds discussions with H.H Sheikh Mohamed in 2017.
- H.H Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed meets German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin in January 2008.
- H Sheikh Mohamed with Angela Merkel, German Chancellor after a meeting at the Chancellor’s Office in Berlin, Germany.